I originally posted this over on the Alberta Council on Academic Integrity website. I am re-blogging it here so it gets shared more widely.
- Other terms used to refer to this industry have been “term paper mills”, “essay mills”, “academic consultation services”, or “academic research services”. It is an illicit industry whose main business is providing the means for students to engage in academic misconduct by doing school work on behalf of the student. “Contract cheating” is now the preferred term worldwide.
- Contract cheating services have been operating for decades. The first known media coverage about term paper mills in Alberta appeared in the Calgary Herald on February 24, 1972.
- The contract cheating industry is valued at over $15 Billion USD.
- This is a predatory industry. In 2021 the Better Business Bureau issued a scam alert about contract cheating companies that engage in extortion and blackmail of students who use their services. The industry shares some parallels with organized crime.
- The Alberta Council on Academic Integrity estimates that over 7,000 Alberta post-secondary students are…
View original post 297 more words