I am so happy that I get to teach this course again in the summer semester!
This course has been designed for students who want to learn how to effectively incorporate technology in their present and future careers as language teachers. The course will cover both theoretical and practical issues in teaching second language and the use of new technology to support and enhance the learning process.
A special emphasis will be on combining both face-to-face and the use of technologies in and beyond the classroom walls to enhance the second language learning process. Although the course may address the different types technologies such as Web 2.0 technologies (e.g., blogs, wikis; audio and video podcasting; online videos; mobile tools); mobile technology (e.g., mobile phones; MP3 players; digital cameras; camcorders), and other type of interactive technologies, the focus of the course is on the pedagogical and practical aspects of integrating new technology to face-to-face language teaching.
The course is open to second language present and future teachers at the elementary, secondary, and post-secondary level. The course also invites language teachers with limited knowledge of the target language to learn how to enhance their language teaching by integrating blended teaching into their practice.
The intent of this course is to explore the integration of technology to enhance language learning, particularly in in blended or distance environments.
Specific objectives include:
- understand different learning theories informing pedagogical practices, and in particular the TPACK and SAMR models, as they apply to language learning;
- review current research on the learning of additional languages enhanced by digital technologies;
- explore digital mediated communication methods that can be used effectively in distance and blended language learning programs;
- examine current and emerging trends in educational technology as they apply to language learning; and
- design and evaluate language-learning modules integrating digital technology for online or blended environments.
Here’s a link to the full course outline for EDER 669.73 – Language Teaching and Technology for Summer 2015: EDER 669.73 Language Teaching and Technology – Eaton – 2015 Summer
If you enjoyed this post, please “like” it or share it on social media. Thanks!
If you are interested in booking me (Sarah Eaton) for a presentation, keynote or workshop (either live or via webinar) contact me at sarahelaineeaton (at) gmail.com. Please visit my speaking page, too.