In a recent post I talked about 5 behaviors that might indicate that that your child is a cyberbully. In addition to behaviors, researchers have also profiled cyberbullies to figure out what personality characteristics are common among those who engage in online bullying.
Do any of these traits describe your child?
Characteristics of a cyberbully
- May be introverts, underdogs or underachievers.
- May have low self-esteem.
- Often feels like a victim themselves.
- May not know how to express anger in an appropriate manner.
- Would be unlikely to say to someone’s face what they say in cyberspace (especially if there’s a parent or teacher to witness it).
- Use the Internet as a way to “get even” or vent their frustrations.
- Often unwilling to take responsibility for their actions.
- How to tell if your child is being cyber-bullied http://wp.me/pNAh3-1w4
- 5 Signs your child is a cyberbully http://wp.me/pNAh3-1AM
Amercian Humane Association. (n.d.). Cyber Bullying Prevention and Intervention. Retrieved November 19, 2012, from http://www.americanhumane.org/children/stop-child-abuse/fact-sheets/cyber-bullying-prevention-and-intervention.html
Hinduja, S., & Patchin, J. W. (n.d.). Cyberbulling: Indentification, prevention and response. Retrieved from http://www.cyberbullying.us/Cyberbullying_Identification_Prevention_Response_Fact_Sheet.pdf
PureSight Online Child Saftey (Author). (n.d.). What should I do if my child is a cyberbully? Retrieved November 19, 2012, from http://www.puresight.com/Cyberbullying/what-should-i-do-if-my-child-is-a-cyber-bully.html
StopBullying.gov. (n.d.). Warning signs. Retrieved 2012, 2012, from http://www.stopbullying.gov/at-risk/warning-signs/index.html#bullying
If you enjoyed this post, please “like” it or leave a comment. Thanks!
Share or Tweet this: Profile of a cyberbully: 7 Personality traits to watch for http://wp.me/pNAh3-1AR
If you are interested in booking me (Sarah Eaton) for a presentation, keynote or workshop (either live or via webinar) contact me at sarahelaineeaton (at) gmail.com. Please visit my speaking page, too.