I have been working with two other consultants on a project called “Creating Space for Strength: An Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD) and Research Project Focussed on Calgary’s North Central Communities”. Our approach to the work is strength-based, using the ABCD model. We are working with some amazing people and organizations who are deeply committed to making to the lives of the people who live in their communities better.
As part of our work, we are helping them to build their understanding and capacity around the ABCD approach. Here are 5 of our favorite resources on asset-based community development:
- Coady Institute. (n.d.). An asset-based approach to community development: A manual for village organizers Available from http://coady.stfx.ca/tinroom/assets/file/resources/abcd/SEWA%20ABCD%20Manual.pdf
- Kretzmann, J. P., & McKnight, J. L. (1993). Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Path Toward Finding and Mobilizing a Community’s Assets. Skokie, IL: ACTA Publications.
- Kretzmann, J. P., McKnight, J. L., Dobrowolski, S., & Puntenney, D. (2005). Discovering Community Power: A Guide to Mobilizing Local Assets and Your Organization’s Capacity. from the Asset-Based Community Development Institute, School of Education and Social Policy, Northwestern University: http://www.abcdinstitute.org/docs/kelloggabcd.pdf
- Nelson, B., Campbell, J., & Emanuel, J. (2011). Development of a method for asset based working Available from http://www.nwph.net/phnw/writedir/da0dNW%20JSAA.pdf
- Miller, S. (n.d.). Asset-based community development. Retrieved October 15, 2012, from http://www.slideshare.net/sadierynmiller/asset-based-community-development
We gratefully acknowledge the organizations who have made this project possible:
- Project Origins – NorthernHills Constituency
- Project Funders – Government of Alberta (CFEP Grant); United Way of Calgary and Area; Aspen Family and Community Network Society; NorthernHills Community Association
- Project Supporters – NorthernHills Constituency; City of Calgary; Aspen Family and Community Network Society; NorthernHills Community Association; United Way of Calgary and Area
Related post: Webinar recording: Creating Space for Strength http://wp.me/pNAh3-1wI
Share or Tweet this: 5 Great resources on asset-based community development (ABCD) http://wp.me/pNAh3-1xJ
If you are interested in booking me (Sarah Eaton) for a presentation, keynote or workshop (either live or via webinar) contact me at sarahelaineeaton (at) gmail.com. Please visit my speaking page, too.