Language program administration and management is not new in terms of the work we do, but it is starting to emerge as a “profession”. Training programs have popped up here and there that focus specifically on how to train language program directors to do their job better
Here are some free resources you’ll want to know about if you manage or direct a language program. Don’t worry if they are language-specific. There’s some good stuff in these manuals and papers that every LPA (language program administrator) can benefit from.
- ESL Program Administration in Higher Education – A brief online article that is part of the ERIC collection – by Robert Fox.
- Program Factors in Effective Foreign and Second Language Teaching – A scholarly research article on 4 factors that have a significant impact on the success of language teaching programs – by Jack C. Richards.
- Intensive English Language Program Administration: An Annotated Bibliography – A comprehensive online annotated bibliography on ELP Administration by Ann Tallant and Paul Matthews. An excellent resource.
- Handbook for Administrators – French as a Second Language (FSL) Program – A handbook for language program administrators. Section 4 contains excellent information on student recruitment and Section 6 talks about building partnerships for language programs. Although written for the context of the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, the information is applicable to programs everywhere.
- Strategic Planning within the Current ESL Industry – A Master’s thesis for the MBA program, written by Bob Koreniowsk, Simon Frazer University, British Columbia, Canada, 2003.
- Guidelines of Educational Program Leadership Management: The Factors Enhancing Effectiveness of Chinese Language Programs – A graduate paper by Xie Hua at the Assumption University in Thailand.
If you know of more free resources, let me know and I’ll add them to the list.
Share this post: Free Resources Every Language Program Administrator Needs to Know About http://wp.me/pNAh3-sW
If you are interested in booking me for a presentation, keynote or workshop contact me at sarahelaineeaton (at) gmail.com. Please visit my speaking page, too.